Quesadillas have one of the most unusual names among Mexican food. What is more, it has quite a different preparation style as well. Instead of being fried or baked, this traditional Mexican dish is made by placing its primary ingredients cheese and tortilla between two hot plates and pressing them together. Its name means ‘cheese-cutter’ in Spanish. It is because of the shape that the quesadilla takes when it is being fried or baked. Hence, another name for quesadilla is taco or pie taco. There are numerous ways to make quesadillas, using a variety of fillings such as chicken, vegetables, hummus, and so on. However, if you are trying to lose weight and avoid fat-laden foods then this article will be useful for you. Let us take a look at how healthy quesadillas are from a nutritional point of view:
Are Quesadillas Healthy?
Yes, quesadillas can be a healthy snack or meal choice, as long as they’re made with fresh, whole ingredients. For example, you can fill a quesadilla with grilled chicken, sautéed peppers and onions, and low-fat cheese. This option provides protein, fiber, and essential nutrients like vitamin C and potassium.
Calories In A Quesadilla
- Cheese: Cheese is one of the most important ingredients in quesadillas. It is usually used as a filling for various Mexican dishes and is also used to make quesadillas. Quesadillas are usually made with cheese as the main ingredient. A single serving of a quesadilla contains around 100 calories.
- Tortilla: The tortilla is one of the most basic ingredients in quesadillas and it has a significant amount of calories too. A single serving contains around 90 calories which can be deducted from your daily calorie intake goal if you are on a diet plan or trying to lose weight. The tortilla serves as a base for the quesadilla which serves as its main ingredient and it also provides texture and taste to the dish (which you will enjoy).
- Meat or Fish: You can add meat or fish to your quesadilla if you want to add more protein to your diet plan. However, you will not be able to enjoy a quesadilla without the tortilla and cheese.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream is an essential ingredient in quesadillas and it is used to add a tangy taste to them. You can also add it to your dish if you want to make it more flavorful as well. However, this will not help you reduce your calorie intake as sour cream contains around 150 calories per serving.
- Guacamole: Guacamole is one of the most popular Mexican dips which is served with chips, burgers, and sandwiches. It is made from avocados which are rich in fat and contain about 300 calories per serving, but you will have to add them on your own if you want to include them in your quesadilla recipe because they are rarely added as a topping for quesadillas.
Are There Any Health Benefits To Eating Quesadillas?
1. They have a low-calorie count.
A single quesadilla is generally around 100 calories. The calorie count is not so high when you compare it with other types of Mexican dishes such as burritos and chimichangas, which are around 400 calories each. This makes quesadillas a much healthier choice than these other dishes. Also, the protein content in this food is quite high too (about 20 grams).
2. They are cholesterol-free.
One of the most popular fillings used to make quesadillas is cheese — usually cheddar or mozzarella cheese. Cheese is rich in calcium and phosphorus and low in fat and cholesterol. However, there are two types of cheese that you can use to make your quesadillas — low-fat cheeses and those that contain less than 2 grams of fat per ounce (1/4 cup). If you choose the first option then your dish will be very healthy for you, because it will contain only about 100 calories.
3. They are good for your heart and blood vessels.
A single quesadilla contains about 100 calories, which is ideal for a healthy diet. The main ingredients of quesadillas — cheese and tortilla — are also good for your health, especially the calcium content in them. This is because calcium helps to keep the heart and blood vessels healthy, as well as keep bones strong and teeth strong. However, there are two types of cheese that you can use to make your quesadillas — low-fat cheeses and those that contain less than 2 grams of fat per ounce (1/4 cup). If you choose the first option then your dish will be very healthy for you, because it will contain only about 100 calories. Also, the protein content in this food is quite high too (about 20 grams).
4. They help to regulate cholesterol levels.
The main ingredients of quesadillas — cheese and tortilla — are also good for your health, especially the calcium content in them. This is because calcium helps to keep the heart and blood vessels healthy, as well as keep bones strong and teeth strong. However, there are two types of cheese that you can use to make your quesadillas — low-fat cheeses and those that contain less than 2 grams of fat per ounce (1/4 cup). If you choose the first option then your dish will be very healthy for you, because it will contain only about 100 calories. Also, the protein content in this food is quite high too (about 20 grams).
Pros Of Eating Quesadillas
1. They are a healthy option for the breakfast.
Breakfast is an important meal of the day. It is the most important meal and must be taken regularly. However, it can be quite difficult to make a healthy breakfast on your own depending on what you have in your fridge. If you want to avoid cholesterol-rich foods, you may want to try making quesadillas as they are made from grains and vegetables which provide plenty of fiber and nutrients that are good for your health. This will help you eat a healthier breakfast while still enjoying it!
2. They are a good source of protein.
Quesadillas are stuffed with cheese, and you will find that the more cheese you add, the healthier it is. Cheese is a great source of protein and is fat-free and cholesterol-free too! You can have quesadillas for breakfast or as a snack and they are a great way to get the protein your body needs.
3. They taste great.
The quesadilla is a type of food that tastes great and you can have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is one of the most versatile foods in the world and can be enjoyed in many different ways. You can eat it as a snack, as a side dish to your main meal, or even as part of a meal. I would suggest eating quesadillas at least once every day (or more!) because they taste so good!
4. They are easy to make.
You don’t need any special skills to make quesadillas because they are extremely easy to make. You will only need cheese, tortillas, peppers, and other vegetables that you like! If you have never made quesadillas before then you will find that it is very simple to do and you won’t get bored of making them over and over again!
Cons Of Eating Quesadillas
1. High in calories
The calorie content of quesadillas is quite high. For a single quesadilla, the calories can be as high as 300-400. If you have one per day, this would add up to more than 1,500 calories per week. Needless to say, this would be too much for your diet plan. Hence, it is not advisable to eat such a large quantity of quesadillas in one sitting.
2. High in fat and cholesterol
Quesadillas are quite fattening because of their fat content in them. A single quesadilla can contain up to 16 grams of fat and 1 gram of cholesterol. However, this amount is negligible compared to the total amount of fat that you get from other Mexican food items like tacos and burritos which are more than double with respect to their calorie count (180 grams). Hence, if you want to lose weight then it is better not to eat too many quesadillas.
3. High in sodium
The sodium content of quesadillas is also quite high. A single quesadilla has almost 3 grams of sodium which is quite high. If you have a lot of quesadillas, then it would add up to more than 1,000 milligrams of sodium per week. This is a big amount and can affect the health of your body in a negative way if consumed in excess.
4. High in saturated fat and cholesterol
The saturated fat content of quesadillas is also high which can affect the heart health of your body negatively if consumed in excess. A single quesadilla has about 16 grams of saturated fat and 1 gram of cholesterol for every 100 grams of the food item. This amount is more than double with respect to other Mexican food items like burritos and tacos which have only 8 grams per 100 grams. Hence, if you want to lose weight then it is better not to eat too many quesadillas.
Quesadillas are very high in calories and fat, and low in fiber. They are not very healthy when consumed on a regular basis. They are also very high in sodium, which is not good for people who are on a low-sodium diet. However, quesadillas can be eaten once in a while, as a snack or for a quick meal. But if you want to stay healthy and fit, then you should avoid them because they are not very healthy. Excessive eating of quesadillas can lead to weight gain, which is harmful to your health. If you want to stay fit, you must avoid eating quesadillas.